Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book Review: The Art of Wheelbuilding

The Art of Wheelbuilding: A Bench Reference for Neophytes, Pros & Wheelaholics

One of the great things about ebikes is that they are, fundamentally, bikes. Core bike technology is time-tested. We may add motors to our hubs, but our wheels are fundamentally the same, and wheels have been the same for years.

I know that sometime I will have to relace my hub motor to a better rim, as well as to upgrade spoke quality. I can do a passing job truing that wheel, but I'm a bit intimidated about completely relacing it. To address that, I recently read The Art of Wheelbuilding by Gerd Schraner. Though inteneded more a bench reference than a casual read, I read all the way through it, and look forward to using it as a reference. The writing is clear, the diagrams are helpful, and its got a copious selection of sizing charts. Though it was a library book - one with quite a waiting list (so I rushed to get it back quickly) - I could see picking up a copy when the wheel rebuild commences.

Of course, I'm also considering a wheelbuilding class through Gracie's Wrench. Another alternative would be one of Portland's custom wheel builders, like Epic Wheel Works. I might have to think about this some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment