Monday, March 29, 2010

Wet Weather Chic: What I Like

Its another rainy day here in Portland, after a great Saturday and a spotty Sunday. As I was riding in this morning, I decided I'd do a quick rundown of my heavy weather wear.

Feet

adidas Men's Samba Classic Soccer Shoe,Black/White,10.5 MAdidas sambas. Almost waterproof, and very durable. In heavy rain I get a little leakage through the tongue slot, but not too bad. I carry a an extra pair of socks, too. I have a pair of nylon overbooties as well, but rarely use them.

Legs
Arc'teryx Men's Alpha SV Bib CZArcteryx ski bibs. A bit of overkill and time-consuming to don, but completely waterproof. Full length zippers make pockets accessible, and snow gaiters keep water from the ankles. Not as breatheable as I'd like for regular riding, but nice for ebiking.

Top
Showers Pass Elite 2.0 JacketShowers Pass Elite 2.0 rain jacket. Pricey, but hands down the most valuable piece of rain kit I own. The thoughtfulness that went into the design of this garment is readily apparent, and I anticipate enjoying it for a long time to come. I think this picture is of the women's model; I wear a men's, but you get the idea.

Helmet
Yes. Handknit felted wool liner.

Accessories
Planet Bike Aquilo Full Finger Glove Small BlackGloves, Planet Bike's Aquilo. Not waterproof, but I don't have a terribly long commute.

Eyewear
Lowe's contractor safety glasses. Sometimes they fog when it gets really cold, and wipers would be nice, but they're better than rain drops in the eyes, which I really really don't like.

What do you wear when its wet? Any great tips for keeping warm, dry, and comfortable?

No comments:

Post a Comment